The Human Genome Project
The aims of the project were to:
- determine the sequences that comprise human DNA
- identify all of the genes in human DNA
- store this information in databases and improve analytical tools
- transfer technologies gained from the project to private industry (eg biotechnology companies), to develop new medical applications
- address the ethical, legal and social issues that may arise from the project.
For more information on the Human Genome Project, including sections on medical aspects, social, legal and ethical issues and a student section, click here.
The National Human Genome Research Institute is part of the US National Institutes of Health. They contributed to the International Human Genome Project, click here to view their site.