Recommended Year Level: Year 7 Required Knowledge: Little Duration: 7 x 50 minute lessons
This module can be used in a general classroom or be suitable to use with a science club or gifted program where students are researching innovative technologies. The module is built around an assignment where students research the use of carbon nanotubes to build the space elevator, and then perform a science show based upon their findings.
Researching Space Elevators
The module can be introduced by showing students slides 1-8, and explaining in brief what the expected outcomes are for this component of the module are. Students should then:
- View animation Space Elevators
- Create research questions based on how, what, where, when and why. The T-Chart Guide, Activity and KWLH sheets will be useful here.
- Research space elevators on the Internet. Use the templates provided.
Students could submit the following files for assessment:
- Recorded information from the animation and other research using the T-chart, KWLH and Internet research templates.
- A single A4 page of pictures and diagrams with labels that will complement research findings
- A bibliography detailing sources of information and photographs/diagrams.
|Space Elevator||1.9 MB|
|Space Elevator - Accessible Word||1.78 MB|
|Space Elevator - Accessible PDF||559.96 KB|
|Space Elevator Guide.doc||22.13 MB|
|Space Elevator Guide - Accessible Word||60.69 KB|
|Space Elevator Guide - Accessible PDF||125.07 KB|